Software Technology Parks of India (STPI) is a premier S&T organization under Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) engaged in promoting IT/ITES Industry, innovation, R&D, start-ups, product/IP creation in the field of emerging technologies like IoT, Blockchain, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Computer Vision, Robotics, Robotics Process Automation (RPA), Augmented & Virtual Reality, Animation & Visual effect, Data Science & Analytics for various domains like Gaming, FinTech, Agritech, MedTech, Autonomous Connected Electric & Shared(ACES) Mobility, ESDM, Cyber Security, Industry 4.0, Drone, Efficiency Augmentation, etc.
STPI is establishing CoEs/Technology incubators for building India’s leadership in the above mentioned technology areas across the country in a collaborative manner. Till date, STPI has launched the following 20 Centres of Entrepreneurship (CoEs):
- Electropreneur Park at New Delhi
- Internet of Things (IoT) OpenLab at Bengaluru
- Electropreneur Park at Bhubaneswar
- VARCoE at Bhubaneswar
- FinBlue at Chennai
- NEURON at Mohali
- MOTION at Pune
- IMAGE at Hyderabad
- Apiary at Gurugram
- MedTech CoE at Lucknow
- Internet of Things (IoT) in Agriculture CoE at Guwahati
- Animation CoE at Shillong
- Emerging Technologies – AR/VR CoE at Imphal
- Geographic Information System (GIS) CoE at Itanagar
- Gaming Tech CoE at Aizawl
- Graphic Design CoE at Kohima
- Healthcare Tech CoE at Gangtok
- Data Analytics CoE at Agartala
- AIC STPI Bengaluru
- FASAL CoE
STPI is aspiring to become the largest technology startup ecosystem in the country and has been endeavouring to transform the country into a software product nation as envisaged in National Policy on Software Products (NPSP) 2019. In order to achieve this, STPI has evolved a collaborative model wherein government, industry, academia, and other stakeholders are playing a vital role for providing end-to-end support to startups. Aligned with this vision for promoting R&D, innovation, product & IPR creation, STPI is providing state-of-the-art infrastructure, skilling, mentoring, market connect and other necessary support pan-India to startups.
STPI has also embarked on launching Next Generation Incubation Scheme (NGIS), a futuristic incubation scheme to offer comprehensive support & services and extend seed funding to startups from 12 STPI incubation facilities pan-India at Agartala, Bhilai, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Dehradun, Guwahati, Jaipur, Lucknow, Prayagraj, Mohali, Patna & Vijayawada under a common umbrella. To further strengthen the startup ecosystem in the country, STPI has set up RF Lab, EV Lab, AV Lab, IoT Lab, MoCap Lab, AI/DA Lab, Innov IoT Lab, CV/AI Lab, ESDM Lab, Health Informatics Lab, MediElectronics Lab, VR/AR Lab, Fintech SandBox, FabLab, SMARTLab, and Atal Incubation Centre (AIC) to enable startups leverage these facilities for building innovative technology products and solutions in an indigenous manner.
Since its inception in 1991, STPI has been working towards equitable and inclusive IT-led growth pan-India which in turn has helped promoting Software exports, Science, Technology & Innovation (STI) and Software product development. With nine jurisdictional directorates and 61 centres, STPI has expanded its presence pan-India to support IT/ITeS Industry. Working closely with all stakeholders, STPI has played a key role in transforming the country as the preferred IT destination, a fact that aptly proven by the stupendous growth in exports by STPI-registered units from Rs. 53 crores in 1992-93 to Rs. 5,08,438 crores in 2020-21, which is approx. 50% of the national software exports and 2.3% of India’s GDP. The first historic event that triggered the high-octane growth of IT Industry in India was the establishment of three Software Technology Parks (STPs) at Bengaluru, Bhubaneswar and Pune in 1989. Consequently, in 1991 these three STPs were merged to create a single entity Software Technology Parks of India.
To promote the development and export of software and software services including Information Technology (I.T.) Enabled Services / Bio-IT.
To provide statutory and other promotional services to the exporters by implementing Software Technology Park/ Electronics and Hardware Technology Park Schemes and other such schemes which may be formulated and entrusted by the Government from time to time.
To provide data communication services including value added services to IT / IT Enabled Services related industries.
To promote micro, small and medium entrepreneurs by creating conducive environment for entrepreneurship in the field of IT / IT Enabled Services.
- 1To Establish Software Technology Parks/Centers at various Locations in the Country
- 2To perform Financial Management Functions which comprise of the following activities
- 3To do all such acts and things as may be required in order to fulfill the objectives of the STPI.
- To Perform all functions in the capacity of the successor to the erstwhile Software Technology Park Complex which were taken over by the Software Technology Parks of India
- To Establish and manage the infrastructural resources such as integrated infrastructure including International communication / Data center / Incubating facilities etc. for 100% export oriented units and to render similar services to the users other than exporters.
- To Undertake other export promotional activities such as technology assessments, market analysis, market segmentation as also to organize workshops/exhibitions/seminars/conferences etc.
- To Facilitate specialized training in the niche areas to meet the above objectives.
- To Work closely with respective State Government and act as an interface between Industry and Government.
- To Promote secondary and tertiary locations by establishing Software Technology Parks of India presence to promote Software Technology Park / Electronics Hardware Technology Park Scheme, and promotional schemes announced by Government.
- To Promote entrepreneurship through incubation programmes / seed funds / IP development and other awareness programmes.
- To Assist State Governments in formulating IT policies and liaison for promoting the IT industries in respective states to achieve an exponential growth of exports.
- To Promote quality and security standards in the I.T industries.
- To Work jointly with venture capitalists for providing financial assistance to the IT industries.
- To Provide Project Management and Consultancy services both at national and international level in the areas of expertise of Software Technology Parks of India.
- Obtain or accept grants, subscription, donations, gifts, bequests from Government, Corporations, Trusts, Organisations or any person for fulfilling the objectives of STPI.
- Note: Whenever any gifts, bequests from foreign Governments/organisations are accepted/obtained, they shall be routed through the Government and be regulated by such directions as may be issued by the Government.
- Maintain a fund for crediting:
- All money provided by the Central Government, State Governments, Corporations, Universities etc.
- All fees and other charges received by the STPI.
- All money received by STPI by way of grants, gifts, donations, benefactions, bequests or transfers.
- All money received by STPI in any other manner or from any other source.
- Deposit all money credited to the Fund in Scheduled Banks / Nationalized Banks or to invest in such a manner for the benefit of the STPI as may be prescribed. At least 60% of the funds shall be placed with the Public Sector Banks or in such a manner as may be prescribed by the Government from time to time.
- Draw, make, accept, endorse and discount cheques, notes or other negotiable instruments and for this purpose, to sign, execute and deliver such assurance and deeds as may be necessary for the purposes of STPI.
- Pay out of the funds maintained by STPI or part thereof, the expenses incurred by the STPI from time to time including all expenses incidental to the formation and reorganisation of STPI and management and administration of any of the foregoing activities including all rents, rates, taxes, outgoings and the salaries of the employees.
- Acquire, hold and dispose of the property in any manner whatsoever for the purposes of STPI, with the prior approval of Governing Council as per the procedure laid down by Government.
- To do all such acts and things as may be required to promote the development and export of software & software services including Information Technology (IT) / Information Technology enabled Services (ITeS) / ESDM in order to fulfill the various objectives of STPI.
STPI has expanded its presence pan-India since its inception in 1991 with 3 centres to disperse tech-driven entrepreneurship to Tier-II/III cities. Today, STPI has 61 centres of which 53 centres are in Tier-II/III cities. These centres have been playing a pivotal role in boosting IT/ITeS/ESDM exports from the respective region, generating employment, and fostering startups to develop software products.
Below timeline represents the pan India STPI centres along with their year of establishment:
- Navi Mumbai